Wednesday, July 31, 2002

It finally rained in Delhi today. Just this morning I was wondering how it was the last day of July and there was no rain in sight. All of a sudden the sky darkened and a cool breeze started blowing. After sometime the wind picked up sending the tall eucalyptus trees into a frenzied dance. For a while I thought the wind would drive away the clouds and the dry spell would remain unbroken. But the welcome pitter-patter of raindrops washed my worries away. In a few moments the rain was coming down in torrents and I did a ‘ghana-a-ghanan’ dance a la Aamir Khan in Lagaan. The smell of rain on parched earth was intoxicating and I gulped it in.
Having been born and brought up in Kolkata, the onset of monsoon was never a big deal for me as it always rained in Gangetic West Bengal even if there was a drought in the rest of the country.
So, this was an entirely new experience. After the long wait, today’s shower was indeed a blessing.
But, to my chagrin I later learnt that this was not the real thing. The precipitation was only a localized phenomenon and the monsoons were still beyond the horizon.
So, by the time I set of for office the sun was out again, but mercifully the sultry heat was missing.
When I reached office and asked the others if they had experienced the rain, a colleague turned around and asked incredulously, “Rain? What rain?”

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?