Monday, August 05, 2002

The Sunday Times of India had an article yesterday which listed the factors on which the Indian monsoon depends. Some of them just blew me: Surface pressure at Darwin, zonal wind conditions over Balboa. Did someone say Balboa! Hey! I don’t even know about this place. So, this is chaos theory in action! Just because some stupid butterfly beat its wings a tad too fast, poor me is sweating buckets here. This is so irritating!
Anyway, if dear reader (hey, anybody out there?!!) has been wondering why I have been only discussing the weather for the last few days, I will just change the topic.
Last weekend I saw three good movies — Pulp Fiction, Girl, Interrupted and Traffic.
Quentin Tarantino’s Pulp … was simply outstanding. Girl… was very dark and disturbing. Traffic made for interesting viewing.
Girl… had an unforgettable line. In the film Winona Ryder says, “Madness is just a amplification of a part of us.”
What was enjoyable about Pulp… was its crackling dialogue.
Sample this:
Jackson: Well, you know the shows on TV?
Travolta: I don’t watch TV.
Jackson: Yes, but you're aware that there's an invention called television, and on that invention they show shows?

And this:
Jackson:
That was...divine intervention.
You know what divine intervention
is?

Travolta
Yeah, I think so. That means God
came down from Heaven and stopped
the bullets.

Jackson:
Yeah, man, that's what is means.
That's exactly what it means! God
came down from Heaven and stopped
the bullets.

Travolta
I think we should be going now.

Jackson
Don't do that! Don't you fuckin'
do that! Don't blow this shit off!
What just happened was a fuckin'
miracle!

Travolta
Chill the fuck out, Jules, this
shit happens.

Jackson
Wrong, wrong, this shit doesn't
just happen.

Travolta
Do you wanna continue this
theological discussion in the car,
or at the jailhouse with the cops?

Jackson
We should be fuckin' dead now, my
friend! We just witnessed a
miracle, and I want you to fuckin'
acknowledge it!

Travolta
Okay man, it was a miracle, can we
leave now?






Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?